Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Trust in coordination with multiple partners, including the University of Birmingham, have opened the first integrated dental hospital and dental school in the UK for 40 years.
ModuleCo were approached to deliver a single paediatric dental theatre and two bed recovery unit to meet the requirements of the Trust, who were in need of a state-of-the art facility to serve their patients but on a temporary basis whilst incorporating a permanent solution within their existing main hospital building.
We were given a specific brief from the Trust to design the facility around, including:
- A dental operating theatre suite with a scrub, 56m2 operating room, anaesthetic room, lay-up preparation room and dirty utility.
- Electrical plant room and rooftop plantdeck with an Air Handling Unit.
- All Group 1 equipment provided, including operating theatre light, surgeon’s panel and two medical gas pendants in the operating room.
- Two-bed recovery area.
- Supporting and administration accommodation.
- The facility needed to be standalone and self-serving, requiring only power and water.
Tight timescales meant that a traditional build was not an option. We were able to offer a competitive 16-week programme from design approval and order to the handover the fully operational, patient-ready facility.
In collaboration with our procurement partner business, ModuleCo Healthcare, we provided a full turnkey facility hire package, which included design and build of the theatre and all the associated enabling and groundworks for the facility.
We worked closely with the Trust and other involved parties to find the best solution for their needs, providing a completely standalone facility located within the car park of the brand-new Pebble Mill site.